Skip to main content

Grandma's Marathon Memories

After a super disappointing Spring, where I missed 3 big races because I was either sick, or traveling, or totally undertrained, I have FINALLY made it to the starting (and finish) line of another marathon. WOO HOO!!

I heard about Grandma's marathon from other runners, and it was only praise and accolades. A running friend of mine was also planning to be there to run the half, it was only two weeks after my DNS at Newport marathon, so the timing to give it another try was perfect.

OK, maybe not perfect, as I do think I messed up my taper with so much traveling and running all over the place and my schedule. But as my coach reminded me after my race, the lead up and training are rarely ideal. You do need to show up at least somehow prepared, otherwise the 26.2 miles will chew you up and spit you out, but maybe not every single thing has to be perfect.

Well, my not-so-perfect trip to Minnesota started with me eating some bad taco at Austin airport and getting some issues with my stomach, again! (I did not run Newport marathon two weeks prior exactly due to nausea and stomach issues). I remember driving to Duluth, feeling like crap and telling myself: this can't be happening again!

I decided just to take it easy and one day at a time, and see how I feel. I ate some bread and pasta and oatmeal Thursday - Saturday morning to carbo-load and put at least some nutrients in my body before running for such a long time.





I went to the expo and collected my bib and goodie bag, and met Kellyn Taylor of North Arizona Elite running team. She would go ahead to win the race and get a nice PR and course record. It was lovely to chat with her and get some inspiration/motivation for the race :-)

Then before I knew it, it was Saturday morning and I was getting ready to leave to run 🏃‍♀️ . The charger for my watch decided to malfunction on THAT particular night, I have been using it just fine before and after the race... So I set out with a watch that barely had any battery, I ate maybe half of breakfast of what I usually eat before the marathon, and on top of everything, my period started... I have never raced on my period, and would prefer not to ever do it again, but mother nature works against you sometimes.

Despite all these "issues", I stood by the start line happy and excited. Yay, I made it to the start of my 4th marathon, that's already better than the 3 races I tried to run in the past few months... 🤷‍♀️

As we set off, I still was not 100% sure I would be able to complete 26 miles. But I thought I will simply take 1 mile at a time, see how I feel and adjust, as necessary.


4 miles in, my watch died as the battery was completely down, and I was pretty much running by feel. Grandma's is not an international/huge race, so they had maybe 2 clocks on the course to show the time. I chatted for a few miles with a lady that I kept on leap frogging at first, she told me she is aiming for 3.50, and I knew I can go faster than that, so I left her behind.

Majority of the race is run along Lake Superior. And it was a cool, dreary, kind of humid and rainy, but perfect morning to run the marathon. This was my first time to run a non-major, so I absolutely loved how empty the course was, that I could actually run through water stops and just grab my drinks, and that I did not need to weave around people. Volunteers were fantastic and the small crowds that did come to cheer were wonderful.

At around mile 20, we arrived to Duluth and fatigue arrived together with that. I remember feeling much stronger at mile 20 in Berlin, but then my physical conditional was also much better then. At mile 20, I knew for SURE now that I am going to complete the marathon even if I had to walk the last few miles.

I had a very vague idea how I am doing with time, but I felt I am snagging at least some kind of PR. At mile 22 (or somewhere there), my running friend spotted me and managed to grab this shot. Do you like my "Kardashian butt"? It still had tons of running waffles stuck in my back pocket 😂




There were a lot of turns and some hills (both up and down) during the last 3-4 miles, and I remember barreling down one downhill, thinking to myself: "Oh, it's gonna hurt tomorrow"... And boy did it hurt!

FINALLY, I see the finish line. I am hurting all over and feel like I am barely moving, but here I look quite victorious as I know I have at least a 5 minute PR 😀





I got some chicken soup (???) and a dermal blanket and checked my official time as I grabbed my bag. 3.45.51! 8 minute PR from my last marathon and lots of happiness!




A lot of non-running people often ask me why I run and why I run marathons. I think you can not half-ass a marathon. You can not cheat your way to the finish line. You have to come prepared, having put in some hard work and training. And I absolutely hate half-assess, so here goes my love for marathons. And that feeling when you cross the finish line, realizing that your hard-work is paying off, that feeling is so joyous!

Until the next one! 👋🏻

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The magic of Harry Potter is real!

I was going through the pictures on my phone from my December trip to the UK, and got really nostalgic going through my memories from Warner Brothers Studio Tour on the old set of Harry Potter movies. If you are not a Potterhead, you can’t really understand my nostalgia now or my excitement then when I visited the place. But if you grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione, love the movies and is a fan in general, I am very happy to share with you what I saw. The people behind the studios did a wonderful job of recreating the feeling of magic that Harry Potter world has as well as the sense of wonder I am sure all cast and crew members shared while working on these wonderful movies for over 10 years in a row. The studio tour starts with a short film of how the books and later the movies came to be (cue tears for romantic and nostalgic idiots like me). And then the Great Hall doors open and you are part of magic! The Great Hall with Christmas Decorations Robes and food!

Michelle Obama at SXSW

How often do you get a chance to be in the same room with The First Lady of the United Sates? How often is that lady in question is someone that you actually admire, follow and look up to? How often does she attend a panel that is also moderated by Queen Latifah, with fellow panelists being Missy Elliott, Diane Warren and Sofia Bush? Well, it all happened at one during "Let Girls Learn" keynote panel at South by Southwest, and I just knew I had to attend it, because it was truly an opportunity of a lifetime. I knew I needed to get up early to get into the room with all these powerhouse ladies who were scheduled to attend the panel, and getting up at 5AM to see them definitely paid off, I had the best seats! The panel was dedicated to the conversations around First Lady's initiative "62 Million Girls" or "Let Girls Learn" where Mrs. Obama shared with us her dreams and plans to bring education to 62 million girls out there in the world who curren