Skip to main content

I did it!! Chicago Marathon review

It's been a long journey to October 9th... I started this year by making a few resolutions, and one of them was to run a marathon. I had no idea what kind of commitment it would be, what amount of discipline and perseverance it will require, but here I am, writing my first marathon recap!

I would also like to mention that I started running seriously only this year, and after making the commitment to my New Year resolution. My running schedule looked like this:

 - 5K in February
 - 10K in April
 - Half Marathon in July
 - Marathon in October

All of these races were my first time races. As I go further into my race schedule, I am very curious to see how my performance would be when I repeat the distances.

I had to sign up for a group run in order to be able to follow the training schedule. I envy the people who can do it all on their own, but I didn't want to injure myself, or lose motivation, so I ran with Rogue running (local Austin running group) ever since my 10K race.

The training was quite brutal. I woke up twice a week to go run at 5.30AM, and I am not a morning person! The long runs on Saturdays were not for the faint hearted. We had a reasonably not hot summer here in Austin, but the humidity was incredibly bad. I would sometimes hit mile 3 and my shoes would be wet from sweat (sorry, gross!). But it did prepare me well for the marathon, because Chicago weather was brilliant for running!

I was unusually nervous the week leading to the marathon. I didn't know what to expect and how my body will react to the milage. The longest I have run in my training was 20 miles only (LOL at only). To shake off my nerves and shake out my legs, I started my Saturday morning with a beautiful run on the lake:


This was something I learnt from one of my running coaches: do an easy (EASY) run the day before the race to get the legs going, but definitely no overdoing it.

Next on the agenda was to try out delicious donuts and great coffee from across the street of where I was staying (Lincoln Park neighborhood, amazing place!)



Apart from stuffing myself with carbs on Saturday (which I did happily!), I had to pick up my bib/race packet and I also walked through the Expo, which was massive and a bit overwhelming. I tried to remind myself that I will need to run the next day for 26 miles, so I didn't linger :)



Next morning I got up bright and early, had breakfast and made my way to the start line. The organization of this race and it's 40 thousand runners (and I don't know how many spectators!) is just unbelievable. I didn't have to stand in line anywhere (not even for port-a-potties!), there were tons of volunteers helping you find your way, the gear check was quick and efficient. All in all, I could not choose a better city to run my first marathon!



When I was standing there staring at START, I was strangely very calm. Excited yes, but definitely not nervous anymore. Though I did try NOT to think about 26 miles I still have to cover.

The race went GREAT (I regretfully have no pictures whatsoever from the course, as I tried to focus on running, enjoying myself and replenishment of food and water). The spectators were amazing! So much cheering, cowbells, funny posters, clapping and encouragement. The people of Chicago truly kept me going when I was ready to give up. I also dedicated each mile to a special person in my life: family, friends colleagues, and when I crossed each mile marker, I thought about that person and the good times we had, and it kept me going too.

My first mental mini break came at around mile 10-11 when I started getting a tiny bit tired, but I still had MORE than a half to go. I gave myself a little pep talk and pushed on.

I got REALLY tired at mile 21-22 (don't remember exactly when) and decided to speed-walk through the aid station and get water/Gatorade while walking instead of gulping them down on the run. Great decision, because it helped me to re-group for the last 4 miles or so.

I cruised back to the Grant Park with my strongest pace in all the race and finished at 4 hours 2 minutes and 30 seconds. It is by no means anything quick or impressive in general terms of running, but for me, it was the greatest achievement and accomplishment. I started choking up when I crossed the FINISH line, I was that emotional :)



After I got back and came back to my senses (which happened pretty quickly and I was not even that sore to start with!), my first thought was: when is my next marathon??!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The magic of Harry Potter is real!

I was going through the pictures on my phone from my December trip to the UK, and got really nostalgic going through my memories from Warner Brothers Studio Tour on the old set of Harry Potter movies. If you are not a Potterhead, you can’t really understand my nostalgia now or my excitement then when I visited the place. But if you grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione, love the movies and is a fan in general, I am very happy to share with you what I saw. The people behind the studios did a wonderful job of recreating the feeling of magic that Harry Potter world has as well as the sense of wonder I am sure all cast and crew members shared while working on these wonderful movies for over 10 years in a row. The studio tour starts with a short film of how the books and later the movies came to be (cue tears for romantic and nostalgic idiots like me). And then the Great Hall doors open and you are part of magic! The Great Hall with Christmas Decorations Robes and food!

Michelle Obama at SXSW

How often do you get a chance to be in the same room with The First Lady of the United Sates? How often is that lady in question is someone that you actually admire, follow and look up to? How often does she attend a panel that is also moderated by Queen Latifah, with fellow panelists being Missy Elliott, Diane Warren and Sofia Bush? Well, it all happened at one during "Let Girls Learn" keynote panel at South by Southwest, and I just knew I had to attend it, because it was truly an opportunity of a lifetime. I knew I needed to get up early to get into the room with all these powerhouse ladies who were scheduled to attend the panel, and getting up at 5AM to see them definitely paid off, I had the best seats! The panel was dedicated to the conversations around First Lady's initiative "62 Million Girls" or "Let Girls Learn" where Mrs. Obama shared with us her dreams and plans to bring education to 62 million girls out there in the world who curren

Grandma's Marathon Memories

After a super disappointing Spring, where I missed 3 big races because I was either sick, or traveling, or totally undertrained, I have FINALLY made it to the starting (and finish) line of another marathon. WOO HOO!! I heard about Grandma's marathon from other runners, and it was only praise and accolades. A running friend of mine was also planning to be there to run the half, it was only two weeks after my DNS at Newport marathon, so the timing to give it another try was perfect. OK, maybe not perfect, as I do think I messed up my taper with so much traveling and running all over the place and my schedule. But as my coach reminded me after my race, the lead up and training are rarely ideal. You do need to show up at least somehow prepared, otherwise the 26.2 miles will chew you up and spit you out, but maybe not every single thing has to be perfect. Well, my not-so-perfect trip to Minnesota started with me eating some bad taco at Austin airport and getting some issues with m